Saturday, August 23, 2008

Turkey Chili Verde

This is DEFINITELY the best chili recipe I've tried (and I've tried plenty!). It's got a piquant flavor, tangy and zippy but not too crazy spicy, reheats well, and is not too hard to make. It does need to cook for a while, though, so it's not as quick as most of the dishes I like to make.
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • 1 lb ground turkey breast
  • 3 TB chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 lb tomatillos, husks removed and cut in half
  • 4.5 oz can diced green chiles
  • 1/2 c cilantro leaves
  • 2c low sodium chicken broth
  • 2x 15 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tsp sugar

Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic, and cook for 5-10 min until tender. Add the turkey, chili and cumin, cook until turkey is browned.

While this is cooking, put the tomatillos, cilantro, and chiles into a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Add to turkey mixture, stir in the broth, beans and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the mixture is thickened and the flavors are blended, about 45 minutes.

Yield; 6 servings, 1 c each, 7 points, 334 calories, 11g fat, 9g fiber

3 comments:

Gina Barlean said...

I'm going to try your recipe tonight.

Gina Barlean said...

It's made and simmering on the stove. It tastes great. I made some changes because I didn't have certain things in my pantry. I didn't use green peppers. I had roasted garlic and roasted jalepeos in my freezer from my garden last summer. I also didn't have beans so I used a can of refried beans. It made it nice and thick and is just fine.
Thanks for the basic recipe!

Leslie said...

I have made this recipe twice now, and both times came out great! The first time I made a vegetarian version with beef-style tofu crumbles and chicken-style veg broth - turned out great.
The second time I accidentally put in a can of tomatoes that had basil in it, so I switched the spices over to Italian spices (adding basil, oregano, bay leaf, cayenne instead of cilantro, cumin, chili powder & chiles) and I added a can of black olives. Served it over whole wheat pasta with some parmesan cheese on top - also yummy! Thanks for this recipe Erica!