Sunday, June 24, 2007

This Week's Menus

Hey there,
I gained 3lbs last week, with my son's 5th birthday party, lack of exercise, and generally cheating on my weight loss plan. So, this week, I have to get on the stick with cooking - that always helps me eat a bit better. I've also been exercising like a madwoman this weekend - I did a 5-mi run/walk with my son this morning. It's too sweet to see him trying to keep up with me - it makes me feel like I'm actually setting a decent example. Anyway, as usual, I chose some dishes to cook this week - this is what's on my menu for this week:
  • Sausage, potato, and onion skillet dinner
  • Penne with Asparagus, Spinach and Bacon
  • Peel & Eat Shrimp with cocktail sauce
  • Turkey Patty Melts
  • Baked turkey & jack cheese chimichangas

Recipes.....................

Sausage, Potato and Onion Skillet Dinner:

  • Cooking Spray
  • 14-oz Light smoked sausage, like Healthy Choice, sliced
  • 1 sweet onion, cut in half and sliced
  • 20-oz package pre-sliced red potato wedges, like Simply Potatoes
  • 1c fat free chicken broth
  • 1/2 c. light beer or Sprite

1) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage, and cook, stirring often, until sausage is nicely browned. Take sausage out of pan, set aside for later.

2) Re-coat pan with cooking spray, Add onion and potato. Cook until brown, about 10 min. Add sausage back to pan, add broth and beer. Cook until liquid is almost completely absorbed, stirring occasionally.

Yield: 5 servings, 1c each, 4 points (199 cal, 3.6g fat, 3g fiber)

Penne With Asparagus, Spinach and Bacon

  • 8 oz uncooked penne pasta (I've been loving Dreamfield's pasta lately - same nutritionals as wheat pasta but tastes better)
  • 2 bacon slices
  • 1/2 c chopped sweet onion
  • 1lb asparagus, sliced into 1-in pieces
  • 1.5 c fat free chicken broth
  • 4c bagged baby spinach
  • 1/2 c (2oz) shredded parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

1) Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, keep warm.

2) Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet, until crisp. Remove from pan, crumble. Add onion to drippings in pan, saute one minute. Add asparagus and broth to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is crisp-tender. Add Pasta, spinach, half of cheese, and pepper. Toss well. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.

Yield: 4 servings (1.5c pasta, 1TB cheese)

7 pts (363 cal, 10 g fat, 4.6g fiber)

Getting tired now, will write the rest of these recipes in tomorrow night. Man, my legs are sore from that run today. It was hot, and a longer distance than I'm used to.

No comments: