Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spinach and Pink Grapefruit Salad

This is an incredibly refreshing salad as we start to go into the Summer months. It's pretty easy and has a really unique flavor with the Asian-inspired dressing, paired with the sweet-tart of the grapefruit. The nice thing is that spinach wilts much more slowly than lettuce, so leftovers can be eaten even a few days after making this. My neighbors (aka guinea pigs for new recipes) swear they are addicted. BTW, I play with the proportions on the dressing so it tastes better to me (without adding oil), I think these proportions aren't quite perfect.
  • 2 TB grapefruit juice
  • 1 TB rice vinegar
  • 2 tsp Asian dark sesame oil
  • 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sherry
  • 1 TB sesame seeds (black or white are ok)
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 bag baby spinach
  • 1 pink grapefruit, pulled into sections, then sliced into smaller chunks
  • 1 avocado, chopped into smaller bits
  • 1/2 bag sliced mushrooms
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped
  • Other veggies as desired (I've done red peppers, matchstick carrots, scallions, etc.)

Mix grapefruit juice through sesame seeds together in a small pitcher. Taste to see if it needs some slight adjustments (I usually add a bit more vinegar and grapefruit juice, possibly some soy)

Mix veggies together in a bowl, toss with dressing.

Yield 4 servings, 4 points each (2 points each if you omit the avocado)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.