Friday, January 16, 2009

Barbecue Turkey Joes

This is a very simple recipe that - I think - tastes way better than Manwich, doesn't involve much more work, and saves a whole lot on calories. It's very filling, very easy, and not too heavy on the points. It pretty much rocks the house. Oh, and my husband loves it, and it's cheap to make. I've had this one for quite a long time, it's an old favorite, but I hadn't made it for a while until last week, and I realized I'd never posted it. Shame on me.
  • 1lb lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 cup barbecue sauce
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 4 medium mixed-grain hamburger rolls

Coat a pan with cooking spray on medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions, cook until tender. Add turkey, cook until browned. Drain off excess liquid. Add barbecue sauce and cayenne, heat for 2 minutes until flavors are combined. Divide into 4 portions, and serve on buns (your option to toast buns or not).

Yield: 4 servings, 6 points each

300 cal, 10g fat, 90mg cholesterol, 3g fiber

No comments: